The guide below will walk you through setting up email in Outlook 2007 on your Windows computer. You will need the following prerequisites before you begin.
- Know if you want to set up a POP or IMAP account. How do I decide?
- Know your email address and password
- Know what mail server you need to connect to. Where do I find this?
- Have Outlook 2007 installed and opened
Setting up Email in Outlook 2007If this is the first time you are launching Outlook, you will be immediately prompted with the account setup window. Skip to step 4.
- Click Tools
- Click Account Settings...
- Click the Add Account button
- Choose to Manually configure server settings and click Next
- Choose Internet E-Mail and click Next
- Fill in the fields (below) and click More Settings...
- Enter your name as you want it to appear on your outbound email messages
- Enter your email address
- Enter the mail server address for both incoming and outgoing (from prerequisites)
- Enter your full email address as the User Name
- Enter your email password
- Check Remember password
- Click the Outgoing Server tab
- Check My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and Use same settings as my incoming mail server
- Click the Advanced tab
- Change the Incoming and Outgoingports to match your account type (from prerequisites)
- Click Ok and then the Finish button
Congratulations, you have successfully set up email in Outlook. If you have run into any issues, click here for troubleshooting steps.